Saturday, October 2, 2010

An Expedition with Relations

Lucas’s European cruise with his family was used as a springboard for two different tasks aiming to further develop his expressive skills, especially in expounding on a subject by providing supporting details.

To help in concretizing his memories, Lucas was asked to use a timeline as his graphic organizer.



This timeline was then used as a basis for his pre-writing exercise of noting down word/phrase associations for each place visited. For his first work, he was asked to follow the structure of a three-paragraph essay – featuring the introduction, the body and the concluding paragraphs.

-----------------------------------------

      My Summer

                 My summer vacation was long but felt short, because it was fun.
It started well. I lay down and watched TV all day long. I was with my parents and little brother. At the middle of summer, I went to Europe with most of my family.
                
                  My grandfather planned the trip around Europe. I went to 8 countries but I will talk about only 3. Amsterdam was the first place we went to. It was cold and had a lot of bicycles. We went to a wooden shoe factory in Holland. Another place we went to is Russia. There we went to a winter palace in St. Petersburg. It is connected to an art museum. The last place we went to was Spain. We were with my grandfather’s friend and explored Barcelona, Spain.

                   I had a great time in Europe. I had fun in the trip because of the things we saw. I learned about new sights in the world. Sights like the famous paintings of  Da Vinci and Van Gogh. I want to go there again because Europe was a good place to go to.

----------------------------------------

The three particular stops that Lucas identified in the previous essay (Amsterdam, Russia and Spain) were further explored. This time, visual prompts – in the form of photos – were used to assist Lucas in coming up with even more information specific to the experience.

The original output of this task is a Powerpoint presentation, which he was able to make with minimal guidance. The main slides were converted into pictures – as seen in the series below:
 ---------------------------------------

My Summer (in Powerpoint)

(The text of each slide has been transcribed, for easier reading)

Amsterdam/Holland



Ø      A big windmill beside a pond.
Ø      The unpainted wooden shoes (above) only last for 3 years.
Ø      The shoe maker explains about making the shoes. He used a block of wood.



Ø      A statue of Rembrandt. My dad likes his paintings a lot.
Ø      Outside an amusement park with some big shoes.


Russia


Ø      Walking in front of a summer palace in St. Petersburg. It was big with a lot of rooms surrounded by gold. There was a room covered in amber.
Ø      This is a long ceiling of fresco pictures of bible stories in the old testament. I stared at it for a while because it was very detailed.



Ø      This is the unfinished sculpture of Michelangelo. It is a man exercising.
Ø      This is the painting of the return of the prodigal son by Rembrandt. I think it is a bible story.


Spain



Ø      This is a winery. It is somewhere in Barcelona. It was boring. The tour was about making wine out of a fruit.
Ø      This is Paella. It is a kind of Spanish food. There is egg, shrimp, and fried rice mixed in a pan.



Ø      This street performer looks like a headless guy. But I saw some hair when the picture was taken.
Ø      I was with my brother and some guy in a robot costume. It transforms, somehow. My parents thought it was Bumblebee, but the body didn’t look like it because of the wheels.

---------------------------------------


Now on his 5th reading intervention program with Wordlab, Lucas’s steady growth  – both physically and in his literacy skills – has been unmistakable. He is a very diligent 7th grader; yet he never forgets to make time for creative expression through drawing and painting. In fact, he recently joined his school’s Art Club.


No comments: